At 23:48 05.04.01, you wrote:

>How is the French term "polyptique" usually rendered in English?  I'm
>reading  Poly & Bournazel's _La mutation_, and the in which they refer to
>this as a kind of historical source (Carolingian era & succeeding century
>or two).  I've never encountered the term before and don't find it in my
>French dictionaries.
>
>If the answer turns out to be "polyptych," and my ignorance is historical
>rather than linguistic, I'd be grateful for an elaboration.

Dear Patrick,

I suppose the English word is in fact "polyptych". In Germany, where
classical Greek was invented, we say of course "Polyptychon". It's a sort
of foldable writing tablet, consisting of three or more tablets tied
together. See:

FOSSIER Robert
    Tyologie des Sources du Moyen Age, 28: Polyptiques et cen-
    siers. Turnhout: Brepols, 1978, 70 pp.

Best,

   Otfried

to: [log in to unmask]