While not impossible it does sound improbable there may well have been north african elephants still by this time certainly elephants had a much wider range then.

>>> [log in to unmask] 20/April/2001 11:29am >>>
Manda Scott wrote
> I read a book recently (and can't find the title or author just now -
> sorry) which gave what, to me, seemed plausible evidence that Caesar
> had brought elephants in the second of his campaigns, largely because
> he could and it was designed  to piss off the senator who had taken
> the trouble to bring them from Africa.

A pedantic (and possibly inaccurate) point here.  I remember being told once
that it was impossible to train African elephants, only the Indian variety.
If this is true, does this not indicate that the Roman elephants would have
been imported from the east rather than Africa?

Dave Carter.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council postmaster
 at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.