I had not noticed the Ceasar connection before, sounds good.
Claudius certinly wanted to be a proper imporator, unlike his dotty nephew. His reign started with a military rebellion of the what Rome needs is a real soldier variety.

>>> [log in to unmask] 20/April/2001 10:02am >>>
Re Claudius and his elephants:

I read a book recently (and can't find the title or author just now -
sorry) which gave what, to me, seemed plausible evidence that Caesar
had brought elephants in the second of his campaigns, largely because
he could and it was designed  to piss off the senator who had taken
the trouble to bring them from Africa.  The theory is that this was
known by Claudius and his people and that in taking elephants, he was
more fully emulating Caesar. Thus it was a political act with
resonance in Rome rather than a military or strategic one with
intended consequences in Britain.

****************

Manda Scott MA CertVA BVMS MRCVS

'Hen's Teeth'           The Women's Press - 1996
'Night Mares'           Hodder Headline - 1998
'Stronger than Death'   Hodder Headline - 1999
'No Good Deed'          Hodder Headline - 2001

http://www.mandascott.co.uk

http://www.unusualsuspects.co.uk

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council postmaster
 at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.