Joseph Elders reasons do seem to be those of most people who don't join. In
actual fact applying does not need to be nearly as onerous as appears from
the handbook - which is amazingly off putting and needs to be simplified if
the IFA wants to increase its membership - as I keep saying to a colleague
who has been on the Council. Those who have been in archaeology for years
must have a few offprints about the place - you don't have to send in
everything you have ever done (just list as many as you can remember!), nor
do you need to detail every excavation or project you have ever been on (the
last few and relevant years should be sufficient) or produce proof you can
do absolutely everything mentioned in your AoC.

The more people that join the better it OUGHT to be and the more it can do
for the profession as a whole. That's what I tell myself anyway. They are
setting standards, but “standards and guidance” documents are useless if
people only pay lip service to them or if work is not monitored properly.
Monitoring surely is the key and it does not just mean counting IFA members
on the project team and asking if they are working in accordance with IFA
guidelines. This needs to be addressed more directly. If the IFA can create
a world where shoddy work is rejected and quality gets its rewards more will
join.There are a lot of people out here who are doing good work and ought to
be members.

The sub is a lot admittedly. And the cost of the conference is ridiculous.

Jenny