> "The first stop is to consult the EPNS local volume...." someone
> wrote.
> True enough if one can get at it and if there is a recent edition.

The problem of date of publication is precisely the reason why I said that
later research should also be consulted, but the EPNS volumes are still the
starting point. Many of them are *very* recent because they're still being
regularly published. As for getting hold of them, I sympathise, but you
could always join the EPNS for a modest subscription which includes the
annual volume of the Survey. (Just a quick plug!)

Can I be politically incorrect for a moment and say that sources of the best
information may be difficult for individuals to get hold of, but they remain
the best sources, and should be recommended to a discussion list like this.
It's easy to get hold of ill-considered, speedily written opinions on
place-names which cash in on people's natural curiosity, but they're not
worth much if you want the nearest thing we can get to the truth.

> The first stop for the average user should be Ekwall's Oxford
> Dictionary of English Placenames.

But the latest edition of this is 1960, which, depending on your county, can
be up to forty years older than the EPNS volume/s. Don't get me wrong,
Ekwall was a great scholar and his book is still valuable, but, if you want
a general dictionary rather than all the historical detail that you get in
the EPNS volumes, I'd recommend A.D. Mills, 'A Dictionary of English Place
Names', Oxford University Press, 1991. For Saltburn-by-the-Sea, he gives
'(Place by) the salt stream'.

> For Saltburn he {Ekwall] gives the earliest form as dating to 1185

He actually gives *circa* 1185, and his source is the same as the EPNS
volume's 1180-90 source. Some things don't change!

Could you tell us more about your source of 'Amyand'. I can't find it in
gazetteers or in my encyclopaedia (not Britannica).

Best regards,

Dr C.P. Biggam
University of Glasgow