> > Wonder how -Saltburn_ got its name ?
>
> Actual origin is unknown. Two fairly widespread explanations I've been
told
> by locals

Bea and Mark,

The first stop for place-name explanations is the appropriate volume of the
English Place-Name Survey, although it's also necessary to look at later
research. For Saltburn, the Survey finds that the earliest known reference
dates to 1180-90 (spelt Salteburnam). They interpret this as 'salt stream'
from Old English 's(e)alt' and 'burna', and suggest that the name refers to
the alum found in the district. I presume this is a river-name in earlier
times, i.e. there wasn't necessarily a settlement there yet.

Carole Biggam