Towse,
     Mexican's were/are fond of using anthropomorphic ceramic shapes
which your 'terracotta heads' sound like.  They are also fond of
masks - which may have something to do with ceremonies related to
the dead (but I may be wrong on the latter...grey cells not working at
moment).

    Ceramic traditions/shapes changed little over many centuries though
the newer versions have always struck me as less well made when compared
to the material displayed in their anthropology museum in Mexico.

    If you can use a digital camera to get it into your computer you might
get more qualified responses.

     Hope this helps.

Bea

Beatrice Hopkinson 73071,327@compuserve