> The separate baptistry remains in Italian cathedrals.  The Lateran's
> survives.  Also those in Siena, Parma, Pisa & Florence.
> Tom Izbicki

May I add Ravenna (6th century, called the Neonian baptistery by the bishop
who built it; just for curiosity, it may be added the Arian Baptistery,
build probably bt Theodoric), or Cremona? Treviso? Padova? Bergamo?
Chiavenna? For Tuscany (just like Florence & Co.) there are also separated
baptisteries at Pistoia and Volterra.

To a more attentive consultation, this habit is restrained to the Northern
Italy. Why this custom was not developed to the South of Rome?

Serban Marin,
Bucharest, Romania,