Greetings learned ones! I am trying to trace a motif that shows
up in an icelandic saga, namely the concept of a school
of sorcery, run by a thinly-disguised Old Nick, from which
a clever student is, however, able to escape. I associate
this motif more with the early modern period than the middle
ages; indeed, it is unclear from my text that the devil
is in fact in charge (my heading should perhaps have read
"sorcerers school" rather than "devils school." (a medieval
Hogwarts?) at any rate, i would be very appreciative of
any suggestions of texts, latin or vernacular, which
might relate to this theme. I sh (with biblioic info,
please, as i will have to order them by inter library
loan.) I should add that the tale  does not
seem to be connected to the theophilus legend - the
emphasis is on the fact that the student outwits
his master.
thanks
Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]