At 03:15 PM 1/4/2001 -0600, Dennis Martin wrote:
>Since you made this more precise, I might suggest that you take a look at
>Columba Stewart's summary of John Cassian in _Cassian the Monk_ (Oxford,
>1998), e.g., p. 111-113, but at other places as well; this would provide a
>more recent supplement to the fundamental work of Leclercq on monastic
>reminiscence as a spiritual and exegetical method.  This is not the same
>as Augustine's triad, of course, but might be the sort of thing you need
>to begin to make the linkages you want to make.  The other very important
>work, of course, is that by Mary Carruthers, _The Book of Memory_ and her
>more recent book whose title escapes me.  You might also look at Hugh of
>St. Victor's _Didascalicon_ and especially the commentary on it by Ivan
>Illich, _In the Vineyard of the Text_.

John Cassian was already on my list, although not the Steward book you
suggest -- thanks for that.  I am chasing up something he says in the
Conferences about _curiositas_ (which I am planning to connect to errantry
in the chivalric sense). I was led to Cassian by Mary Carruthers -- her
more recent book, _The Craft of Thought_. (Both her works have been very
influential in helping me formulate a method for looking at memory in
Chretien.) The Didiscalicon and Illich's little book were also somewhere on
my rather lengthy list of things to consider, but I will move them up the
list, at your suggestion.
>I am sending this to the entire list because it may be of interest more
>broadly: the literature on the Cistercians and Chretien, of course, is
>immense.  But people may not be as aware of the work of Leopold Grill,
>OCist, on Chretien's Cistercian connections.  Grill published a lot of
>this in the Analecta Cartusiana series, which is bibliographically a
>nightmare.  (I have a graduate student working on a computerized index to
>this series, but it will be a while before it is usable.)
>
>One article is Lopold Grill, O.Cist., "Mystik und Höfische Dichtung," in
>_Spiritualität heute und gestern_, vol. 1, Analecta Cartusiana, 35.1
>(Salzburg: Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik, 1982), 115-56.  But
>he has written other articles and a thorough bibliographic search might be
>useful.  Grill was a Cistercian of the Abbey of Rein in Steiermark and has
>some very interesting speculations about connections between Champagne and
>Austria, including Steiermark and Carinthia, via Otto of Freising.  Beyond
>that I leave the matter of Chretien to others more expert than I.
>
>Dennis Martin

I will make my ignorance public by beseeching you (or anyone!) for an
introduction to the "immense literature on Chretien and the Cistercians."
I'll certainly look for the work of Leopold Grill, as you suggest, but my
German has 20 years of dust on it, although I'm hoping to buff it up a bit
for research purposes. Materials in English or French will give me no trouble.

Ongoing thanks for the help.

--
Lisa Nicholas