This is a fairly well-known craft technique that I associated with the 19th
and early 20th centuries. Although I'm sorry not to be able to recall a
reference, I've seen articles in places like The Mother Earth News. Check
contemporary books and articles that tell about "old-fashioned" crafts.

My understanding is that one simply soaked dried rose petals in water and
rolled them into beads. I've not been able to get this to work. Nor has a
friend who's a weaver. If you find out more, let me know, as I've a large
collection of dried rose petals collected partly for this purpose. [They're
also useful for neighborhood dog and cat funerals, where it's usually
comforting for the bereaved  owner if one shows up with lots of incense, and
rose petals to sprinkle on the deceased household pet as it's laid to rest in
the yard. In some of the earliest stone age burials (of people, not cats or
dogs), rose petals were sprinkled on the corpse. So I guess roses are
special.]

pat sloane