Dear Colleagues-

I have been asked to do a short talk for an undergraduate audience on the
state of the field -- defined here as "medieval history" but which in this
day in age can of course be defined as "medievial cultural
history" including art, religion, literature, etc.  And this got me to
ask myself what are the, say, five or six overriding issues that have been
governing the field in the last few years.  What are the areas in which
there has been the most innovative research and thinking of late, and what
are the "big issues" that scholars are setting trying to work out now.

Any thoughts would be hugely helpful. thanks

cecilia gaposchkin
berkeley/dartmouth