> there are gains for those of us who like to
> work in a more open way too.

what do you mean Andy?
what can be more generic or 'open'  than plain text?
mySQL is free and open source, so is PHP,
to use data from a database simply point your script to fields in the
tables,
tainting the data with XML tags is a step backwards,

> It will be a shameful
> loss if your ideas are not usable by others within their
> own system

you can import and export data at your heart's content , you could use this
data on any system because it's plain text, if you want to add tags than
that's up to you, who's stopping you?

>  If we all re-invent wheels then
> we are wasting valuable effort.

Who's re-inventing wheels?

I don't really understand what you're getting at, can you explain ?
stored data is best left as simple text alone,

regards,

Martin Schranz

 Dublin, Ireland
 www.mcqs.com