Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Even so very shortly after our fantastic week in Atlanta, it is
already time to begin thinking about SSS4. Could I have your initial
reaction to the following proposition:

Bill's 65th birthday falls on Sunday 15th June 2003. Does anyone have
a conflict of interests around this time of year, or could we meet to
celebrate 30 years of research and 65 years of Bill's life at SSS4 in
London in June 2003?

As Bill's birthday falls on a Sunday, we could either:
a) hold the Symposium the week earlier in the week beginning Monday
June 9th, with study trips on the weekend of 14th and 15th and a
party on Sunday evening, or
b) hold the Symposium the week later, in the week beginning Monday
June 16th, starting with a party for Bill on Sunday evening for all
those delegates who arrive the evening before and ending the
symposium with study trips towards the end of that week. As a slight
incentive for option b, I think (John Peponis please correct me if
I'm wrong) that we can even finish the week with a second birthday
party on June 21st for those who can afford to stay on?

Can everyone make a June event and do people have a preference for a
particular week?

Please let me know by email.

Regards,

Julienne