I rather like the notion that policy is at best a perturbation. Whether a
policy intervention has any effect at all depends on the size of the
perturbation, the topography of the 'landscape' and how close you are to a
'pass between different valleys'. Of course all too often a policy measure
intended to do one thing merely tips you into a valley that leads to an
entirely different outcome. What this means is that we need to understand
the shape of the landscape before we start to formulate policy measures.

Not an answer to your question, I know!

Alan