Edmund,

would I be right that this sort of simulation would then pass on the class
of the child to that of its children (according to some probability
function) and so on ad infinitum? If so then is this not a Markov chain and
you would expect it to converge to a stable distibution regardless of the
initial distribution? If so what you need is some way of measuring the
convergence. But first you need to decide that it is Markov and has no
meaningful feedback....

Alan