Tony

Derby requires completion.

I wonder about those programmes that do not require completion.
Where do they stand on 'progression and completion' from a QAA
perspective?  Anyway, isn't there a deep hypocrisy in giving your own
staff a much softer ride on the pathway to professional competence
than you would dare on those professional programmes you provide for
professional bodies, including work-based? Especially work-based!
Surely the excuses for non-completion, or long-drawn-out completion,
on a work-based programme are even harder to swallow than on a
'conventional' part-time route. "Sorry, but I haven't really got time
to reflect on the pedagogical issues concerning my teaching because
I'm too busy teaching!"

Chris

Professor Christopher O'Hagan
Dean of Learning Development
Centre for Educational Development and Media
University of Derby
Kedleston Road
DERBY, DE22 1GB
England

Tel: +44 (0)1332 591255 (direct)
Fax: +44 (0)1332 622772
Email: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.derby.ac.uk/cedm/

Are you a postmodern educationalist? Try the quiz at:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/cedm/info/index.html

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process
he does not become a monster.  And when you look long into
an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
   Friedrich Nietzsche, in Beyond Good and Evil.