At  the University of North London, all lecturers new to
teaching within MUST complete and pass the Teaching &
Learning course, except for those already with full
membership of the ILT.  Experienced lecturers could also
participated in order to update their teaching and Learning
skills (not mandatory).

Peter Oriogun

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:59:04 +0000 Barry Jackson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At Middlesex successful completion is required - attendance alone
> would seem to be an inadequate and unhelpful measure - like assuming
> that students' attendance at lectures is an indication of learning ...
>
> Barry
>
> >Dear Colleague,
> >
> >Apparently, some universities have decided (or are in the process of
> >deciding) to require their new lecturers to successfully complete, rather
> >than simply attend, their award-bearing courses of training and development
> >in teaching and learning (many of which are recognised by SEDA).
> >
> >At Northumbria, we are discussing the possibility of moving to this
> >position, partly because it seems a half measure to require attendance only,
> >but also because of the prospect that participants who only attend our
> >courses may be required to attend a similar course all over again, or, at
> >least, to undertake coursework, should they take up a post in a university
> >that demands completion.
> >
> >I would appreciate your views on this issue, and, in particular, would be
> >pleased to hear from you if your institution requires successful completion,
> >about the arguments that persuaded your colleagues to take this decision.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Tony
> >
> >Tony Claydon
> >School of Education
> >University of Northumbria at Newcastle
>
> --
> Professor Barry Jackson
> Director of Learning Development
> Middlesex University
> Bounds Green Road
> London N11 2 NQ
>
> tel+44(0) 20 8411 5018
> fax+44(0) 20 8411 5045

----------------------
Peter Oriogun
Course Tutor (Computing /Computer Software Development)
School of Informatics & Multimedia Technology
2-16 Eden Grove
London N7 8EA, England
email: work [log in to unmask]
home [log in to unmask]