In a message dated 12/27/01 8:54:07 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> one of the great changer of perceptions is pain, which is
> why I'm so suspicious of desires for painlessness

This is so true - yes, drugs can do it too, though I have always found that I
end up worn so thin and tired with them, that I cant follow through the
changes till some time afterwards........

To be really alive and alert means recognising pain since it is there all the
time in many subtle forms...... sometimes I envy people who seem to be able
to walk round in a half sleep, with most of what is around them/what they are
experiencing screened out.  But I also know that I simply cant rest and be
content at that level of perception.  I have had some very dramatic
experiences - been lied to, had my own experience denied obliterated.  Having
reclaimed myself I could never be content to slip back into the mist.

Happiness is a pretty static state, it is pain that moves, shifts, forces
change.  The tragic thing is that so often the response to pain is blind fury
and rejection, so the chance of new perception is blocked off.  I have seen
that in my own family recently, and I feel I am seeing it on a world scale
too.

I see it as the role of poetry especially (and of all 'creating') to address
pain and learn from it.  A demand for courage, usually in very tiny and
fleeting glimpses, which is generally all that we can manage. Fragile.

Liz

(as I read back through this I realise that 'pain' takes on shifting meanings
here, from physical, to the psychic and the political...... but I do think
they are all related)