Dear CRUMB List,

Just an October reminder about this workshop:

I'm very happy to announce a free workshop which is exclusively being
advertised to CRUMB members. Places are limited, so please  book
early, with: [log in to unmask]

October's theme of the month will also be on this topic. Hope to see you there!

Beryl

--------------------------------

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours"

An informal workshop on new media spaces
The Media Centre, Huddersfield
Saturday October 13th 2001 - 1-4pm

FORMAT

Six 15 minute presentations demonstrating different tactics for
creating new types of physical showcases for new media art
Open discussion with 20-30 peers invited from the CRUMB mail-list
Transcript of presentations and discussion disseminated via CRUMB mail-list
Post-workshop drinks party at launch of MEDIALOUNGE from 6pm

SPEAKERS

Introduction - Matt Locke - The Media Centre, Huddersfield
Clive Gillman - FACT Centre, Liverpool
Carol Stenakas - Anchorage / CreativeTime, New York
Francis McKee - CCA, Glasgow (TBC)
Hannah Redler - C-Plex
Andrew Chetty - ICA
Summary - Beryl Graham - CRUMB/University of Sunderland

KEY ISSUES

This workshop is an opportunity for curators involved in creating or
working with
spaces designed for exhibiting new media to develop new tactics; it builds on
ongoing discussions from the CRUMB list and the new media curating seminar
held last May at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. The aim is to focus on
models of practise and the practical issues of creating new media
spaces, rather than
a discussion of general conceptual issues about the relationship
between new media
art and architecture.

The discussion will address:

… Creating flexible architectures
… Dealing with audience learning curves
… Working with the vocabulary of existing architectures
… Technical infrastructures - creating and maintaining innovative systems
… Play - linking artistic practise to entertainment culture
… Beyond 'contemporary art' - placing new media work in a larger context
… Public art - linking the gallery to the city
… Creating 'rehearsal spaces'
… Dealing with different attention requirements in the same space
… Integrating interactive and non-interactive work

There is no charge for admission, but please RSVP to Matt Locke if
you want to attend - [log in to unmask]

The Media Centre is very close to Huddersfield train station, with
regular express trains from Leeds, York, Manchester, Liverpool,
Newcastle & Hull. Forthcoming web site:
<http://www.the-media-centre.co.uk>