Dear List,

There's only one day left on this Theme, and I just wanted to bring
out some more of the things that were raised at the "I'll show you
mine ..." workshop in Huddersfield on designing spaces for new media
art: <http://www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/hudders/sched.html>.

One thing which is settling in my mind is the sheer range of
metaphors which can be applied to new media spaces, from the
theatrical and the cinematic to the domestic. Clive Gillman of FACT
for example, was able to break out of the 'gallery' metaphor for
lighting, and plan for a more theatrical-style lighting rig, which
offered more flexibility.  This need for flexibility and the
improvisational also keeps leading me back to the domestic - Fatima
Lasay's posting about her Philippines project uses university,
commercial and domestic resources
<http://digitalmedia.upd.edu.ph/art_not_war.html>, as does a recent
project in a council flat in Newcastle <http://hostexe.org/airshow>.

Flexible, hybrid, domestic/public ... anyone else with some examples
of spaces that work?

yours,

Beryl