Hi list_members,
my name is Sarah Thompson, a.k.a Aurora Lovelock,
and since January this year, I've been attempting to develop some 'serious
critical analysis of new media art'.
It's a personal enthusiasm/obsession, I'm unofficial, not part of 'the
media' but am working purely in *the style* of the media as a
'net.columnist'. Is this activism? i don't know, but i'm definitely a small
producer.

Having studied Computer Animation in the early 90's, in order to inform
myself (as an artist) about computer technology, i would say that the
language of 'new media' involves being able to write about the digital
mechanisms: programming, networks, how graphic images are constructed,
input/output devices etc. As Matt Locke points out, Lev Manovich is one of
those at the forefront of this practice. His texts are based on digital
structures and their aesthetic & social significance, e.g. "Database and
Narrative in New Media Art", and  "The Mapping of Space: Perspective,
Radar, and 3-D Computer Graphics", of 1993, and "The Freud-Lissitzsky
navigator" (brilliant)

'New Media', as distinct from digital art, seems to be where the digital
processes meet Old Media, e.g. TV, radio, film, narrative(?), & at the
moment I believe there is a media/art identity crisis taking place, caused
by the partial crystallisation of net art and the new media industries. ...
www.content-type.org.uk is inside the media<->art identity crisis,
analysing patterns of production and techniques of dissemination.

There _is a new vocabulary evolving & it's a complex & very rich mix. Which
is why it's so good to see Crumb online.

best~
Sarah

>this is linked to something else that came up at momentum - the paucity of
>serious critical analysis of new media art. when there is little evidence
>of a critical vocabulary around the specific qualities of new media art,
>the only tools you have left refer to the aesthetics of previsouly existing
>art forms. that's partly why i'm enjoying lev manovich's 'the language of
>new media' at the moment, as he is attempting to propose just such a
>vocabulary:
>
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262133741/
>
>matt

>Matt Locke