At 18:16 06/11/01 -0500, Dugald wrote :
At 08:31 AM 05/11/2001 +0100, prior to provoking JC's defense of "the noble
discipline", Christian wrote:

>... Grt+Cpx+Pl+Q is a
>typical paragenesis of HP granulite facies and the transition between HP
>granulite facies and amphibolite facies is reached by the reaction
>Grt+Cpx+Q=Hb+Pl;...

Nomenclature aside, perhaps we can forge a link between the two noble
disciplines (:-)) by recognizing that the reaction in question is better
approximated by Hb + Pl + Qtz = Grt + Cpx + tonalitic liquid.

Indeed , it is, a good idea to forge a link between the 2 noble disciplines since amphibolite-granulite transition is precisely at a PT interval where the 2 kind of rocks often coexist. Often, but not always! This transition does not necessarily imply melting. Even if it‘s often true in Archean provinces. There are cases where the transition amphibolite to granulite (and reversely) is reached by subsolidus transformations, without melting.
In other words, granulites (sorry ! rocks in the conditions of granulite facies: kinzigite, khondalite, pyribolite, pyrigarnite, …) are not always, necessarily restites after (vapor-absent) partial melting… ;-))
CN