At 10:05 AM 20/11/2001 -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
>...how does our terminology constructively deal with a group
>of rocks I've  looked at in New York...? ... Thermometric calculations
>indicate 1000 C+.
>These rocks are very fine-grained... and in fact are partially melted
>and metsomatized former pelitic-schist xenoliths...
>in mafic to ultramafic cumulates at the base of a small Silurian
>layered intrusion.  Regional thermobarometry, however, indicates the
>current erosion level represents a pressure of about 7 kbar.  There
>is no doubt whatsoever that these are contact-metamorphic rocks yet
>they lie far outside the P-T range that any textbook indicates for
>very high-T contact-metamorphic facies...

Bob, Is it possible that much of the ~7kbar worth of exhumation happened
after Middle-Ordovician regional metamorphism but before emplacement of the
Silurian layered intrusion?  Depending on the answer, a speculation in my
1978 paper may or may not still be tenable: "If the three geographically
distinct metamorphic culminations in New England are in fact respectively
of Ordovician, Devonian, and Pennsylvanian age, then the fact that all
three of them appear to be more deeply eroded in the south invites
speculation that the northward "tilting" that is reflected in the
bathozonal pattern is post-Pennsylvanian throughout the area." (Am J Sci
278, 784).

Cheers, Dugald

Dugald M Carmichael                    Phone/V-mail: 613-533-6182
Dept of Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering
Queen's University                              FAX: 613-533-6592
Kingston  ON  K7L3N6             E-mail: [log in to unmask]