Following the raising of the question concerning
an  IUGS commission on metamorphic
nomenclature, I think I should give the following
additional information.

There is a Subcommission on the Systematics of
Metamorphic Rocks (SCMR), which is a branch
of the IUGS Commission on systematics in
Petrology.  The subcommission is in fact at an
advanced stage in its deliberations and plans to
produce a series of papers on different aspects of
the nomenclature of metamorphic rocks and a
comprehensive glossary.  Although the completion
of these documents has been rather delayed, I
believe they will come forward in the next few
months.

The website of the SCMR is at:
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/SCMR.
Its new executive chairman is Doug Fettes
<[log in to unmask]>; and the executive secretary is
Jacqueline Desmons <[log in to unmask]
nancy.fr>

Regards all,
Ben

Ben Harte
Dept Geology & Geophysics,
University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings,
Edinburgh EH9 3JW,
Scotland, UK
(FAX 44 131 668 3184)
FAX: [44] (0)131 668 3184