Thomas and Lundeberg (who else?) compared the effects of acupuncture and
diazepam (as well as placeboes of each) on both affective and sensory
components of pain. Affective pain was effected more strongly.

Panos, I agree exactly. A recent study in Germany was unable to confirm the
findings of Cho et al. Still being analysed to see if they match those of
Wu - the science is still immature adn errors are easy.

Adrian

Thomas M, Eriksson SV, Lundeberg T. A comparative study of diazepam and
acupuncture in patients with osteoarthritis. Am J Chin Med 1991;19:95-100.

At 09:49 22/06/01 +0100, you wrote:
>this is getting very interesting. It is perplexing that a paper by Wu et al
>(1999, Radiology,212. 133-141) has not attracted as much attention as the Cho
>paper. In that paper the authors demonstrate that areas in the brain are
'shut
>down' whilst others 'light up' during stimulation. the interesting thing
is that
>the ones that 'shut down' are areas associated with emotion, whilst the ones
>that show increased activity are those which are traditionally thought to
>modulate pain. Hence, one can (very cautiously) assume that stimulation with
>acupuncture will have some degree of central modulation of emotion as well
as an
>analgesic effect. The trick now is, to find out how best to stimulate such
that
>we can achieve both of these effects maximally. In some way, it may even
explain
>the A and B paradigms that Lynn is quoting below, if we assume that one
type of
>stimulation achieves emotional (but not nociceptive) modulation and vice
versa.
>Keep the comments coming!
>Take care
>Panos
>
>Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> On 20 Jun 2001, lppc wrote:
>> > Panos has responded regarding the autonomic nervous system and
>> > acupuncture's effect on it.
>> > This takes me into the realms of pain and emotion, and I wondered if
>> > anyone had any thoughts on the following:
>> >
>> > 'pain is an unpleasant sensory and/ or emotional experience'
>> >
>> > If acupuncture is modulating pain/emotion through similar neural
>> > pathways, what do people feel is happening in the patient who says;
>> >
>> > A       'my pain is no better, but I feel better'
>> > or B    ' my pain is better but I still feel the same'
>> >
>> > Professor Cho, in his recent book ' Neuro-Acupuncture' makes this
>> > statement, ( which might add more info. to the Blood pressure debate...)
>> >
>> > ' Acupuncture goes beyond the simple pain control mechanism. It includes
>> > more homeostatic and controlling functions such as the balance of the
>> > humoral and autonomic functions, and the control of neurochemicals. This
>> > involves co-operation between the major monoaminergic and endorphinergic
>> > neuronal sites in the brainstem and lower brain'
>> >
>> > So, I'm asking people to give me their thoughts on how you can use
>> > ' acupuncture for pain'  , when maybe you can't 'scientifically'
>> > distinguish between the pain and emotion effect... back to the patient
>> > examples A and B!...
>> >
>> > Thoughts??
>> >

>> > Lynn
>> > --
>> > lppc
>> >

>> This is something I have also thought about in relation to acupuncture.
>> When prefrontal leucotomies were in vogue patients often said that after
>> the operation they continued to feel pain but it no longer bothered
> [...]
Dr Adrian R. White MA BM BCh
Senior Lecturer
Department of Complementary Medicine
School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Exeter
25, Victoria Park Road
Exeter EX2 4NT UK
tel 01392 424839
fax 01392 424989

The Department of Complementary Medicine is proud to present
OUR NEXT SCIENTIFIC MEETING:
8th Annual Symposium on Complementary Health Care
6-8 December, 2001
at The Southgate Hotel, Exeter, UK

OUR LATEST BOOK:
Ernst E, Pittler MH, Stevinson C, White AR, Eisenberg, D
The desktop guide to complementary and alternative medicine. Edinburgh:
Mosby, 2001.
ISBN - 0 7234 3207 4

OUR REVIEW JOURNAL - FACT:
FACT - Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies
FACT website  http://www.ex.ac.uk/FACT/
Managing Editor: Barbara Wider - [log in to unmask]