You say, "there is no such thing as a literal or single meaning to the
text". I take this as half jest, because if there is no literal meaning to
written human language, why even post us your email?

partly because i'm not god and not even writing in god's name.  partly because i hope there's more to what i say than any single "literal" meaning.

on another level, one you might appreciate, all efforts at human communication are an act of hope.

On the serious side, who ever said that human language had to have a single
meaning? Or further, that just because a text has several levels of reading
that the text itself has no objective meaning?

i'm with you on the first, you lose me on the second.  unless i misunderstand the meaning of objective (as i think you misunderstood the meaning of antisemitism), it means that there is one "true" meaning that is external to the reader, and shared by all those who are not blinded by their partiality.  correct me if i'm wrong.

More seriously:  I see that there is some lack of understanding of what is
meant by an objective sense. I use the word objective in reference to the
meaning of the text as the quality which determines the understanding of
the text in the same, if not exactly, nearly so, sense in which the human
author intended to convey;

so you wd amend my definition by adding that the "objective" meaning is the one "intended" by the author.  as i suggessted above, any author with really impt things to say cannot reduce it to words that do not have layers of meaning, some of which he or she may intend without knowing what they are.  i imagine that one of the greatest thrills for a poet (or a historian) is to have someone notice connections and meanings to the text that he or she had not been aware of.

now obviously if someone reads a poem intended to create understanding and peace btwn people as a call to war and hatred, then the author may have a gripe.  (i believe dostoyevsky addressed this in his "parable of the grand inquisitor"). but that's more a matter of intent than a matter of objective meaning.

or if there was any failing on his part in
languague skills, at least that which the rules of grammer would construe
the text to say.

you assume that our insufficiency with words is a correctable failing on our part and not from the inherent insufficiency of language to communicate experience or wisdom precisely.  with words we are artists, not scientists.

I see no reason whatsoever to define objective meaning in
a religious text differently, since whether it be religious or not,
inspired or not, a human still wrote it; and the dominate opinion among
Chrisitans and Jews is that humans wrote the books of the Bible.

well, most jews think god wrote the torah, and muslims believe that allah dictated the koran to muhammed.  but i'll grant you your point.  it just seems to me to argue in the opposite direction.  if god is something beyond our ability to image, even to conceive, why would writing about him be anything but a limited effort to point the ways to understand, or enter into a relationship with him?  the finger that points is not the moon to which it points.

I do not understand what you mean by fundamentalists:  my experience of the
term with a definitve non pejoritive usage relates to the rise of the
fundamentalist movement among southern baptists et al. at the turn of the
last century based on a book whose title went something like "The
Fundamentals of Christianity" and which was a movement directed against the
then popular trend in religious circles known as Modernism. As such, I do
not see that this term "fundamentalist" has anything to do with the
Lollards, the medieval Rabbis or the Scholastics.

fundamentalists argue for the "literal" meaning of scripture.  i used the term in a larger sense to describe a position that holds that there is a single "objective" meaning to scripture which we can determine.  fundamentalists have a very limited exegetical discourse because they pursue the fiction that they're not interpreting, they're just explaining the literal meaning.  catholics have a highly developed exegetical discourse because they are arguing that through the magisterium they have developed the proper way to interpret the texts, and that the integrity of the one true and apostolic church is proof that this is true. correct me if i'm wrong.

>i must say that the notion of an exegetical science that renders
>"objective" readings of sacred texts strikes me as a theological version of
>the kind of (newtonian) physics-envy that we find among some of the social
>"sciences" (pyschology, economics, sociology).

In a post-Cartesian world, shaped by the notion that nothing known outside
the empirical method of research is scientific, I can understand why you
should say that. But the empiracle method is not the only method of
research, there is also the forensic method [human testimony] and others I
imagine that I am not familiar with; nor is there any necesity to say that
knowledge and a discipline of knowledge must have a presupposed defined
methodology, as if we need a method to certify the truth of what we
know--this is a theoretical construct of the Empirical movement in western
philosophy (17th-18th C.) and it defies human experience, since we hold as
true so much that has no methodologic presuppositions for its acquitistion.

good point.  science in this period had theology envy, altho i'd take those threads back to the aristotelian devts of the 12 and 13th cn, and their impact on latin as a "scientific" language whose favorite word was "esse" -- the equivalent of the mathematical " = " .

In the Medieval world:  among such authors as commented on the Sententiarum
Quatuor Libri of Peter Lombard, the study of the sacred page was called
theology or sacred doctrine and this was held to be the highest for of
science [scientia] which term was used in the sense we use "knowledge".
This study was considered able to arrive at an objective understanding of
the text because the notion of objectivity was the meaning intended by the
author,

which, if we are dealing with scripture, for peter lombard was...?

and thus the discipline of theology proceeded on the supposition of
objectivity that must be held when using human language in general.

i understand your point.  and it may be fine to talk about peter lombard's beliefs in "objective interpretation of scripture", but to invoke this idea as a valid goal today, after we have seen what such notions produce (medieval attempts to enforce the "objective meaning" on dissenters, with their modern fundamentalist versions of coercive purity), strikes me as deeply problematic.

>>I was using theological in the objective sense, again. Of course if a
>>group takes a certain stance against the mainstream, and theologizes it,
>>you can call it theological motivation; but in medieval terms,
>>theological  motivations originate with God, and that is how I was using
>>the term.
>
>xnty started out as a group that took a certain stance against the
>mainstream.  why do you think that such groups take such stands?  why do

You are presupposing that the phenomenon of Christianity is something that
can be studied under a generic classification of religious movements, or
that inasmuch as it can it can be explained; this already says much about
how you are approaching the phenomenon philosophically.

i am, and it certainly does say much about me and about most if not all the professional historians on this or any list.  one of the basic rules of the trade is, no special pleading.  i apply the same standards to all the religions and religious texts that i study, mine and others.  if you want to exclude xnty from the historical method by claiming a singularity (probably, if i am right, the doctrine of the incarnation), that's fine.  but i expect better theology than history from such efforts.  i'll treat the results as primary documents about contemporary beliefs, not secondary ones of historical analysis.

>you think it is later "theologized" (whatever that means) rather than done
>by people who believe they are inspired by god?

We can't discuss that question until we resolve in what sense we are using
objective in reference to religion.

i'm not sure why, even given your definition.  please explain.

>as for what the mainstream
>is, how can a xn argue that majoritarian decisions decide the nature of god
>and what he wants from his human creation?  doesn't jesus explicitly tell

If by "majoritarian" you are refering to the comment I made regarding 13
centuries until the Lollards came along; I was not making it on the
presupposition that the majority is right; but rather that if 13 centuries
have allowed equally many the opportunity to study a text,

you are aware that we have church canons forbidding the study of the bible by laity.  you are aware that what we have in our documentation is a highly "sifted" sample, representative primarily of a narrow range of disagreement within the elite xn community.  we have bits of evidence that there were radically different readings of scripture, some wildly popular at earlier times... we just have them in the brief denunciations of the clerics whose "objective exegesis" was offended by their dissenting ones.  as blake says, "both read the bible day and night, where they read black, i read white."

then it seems
decidely unreasonable to presuppose that someone or group can come along
and find its objective meaning (I use objective here in the same sense as
above).

is this not a version of the argument that the papacy made against luther? the objections to the catholic hierarchical reading of scripture predate the emergence of imperial xnty, and accompany it at all stages.  invoking a systematically skewed documentary collection as evidence of the "majoritarian position" is, at least to my mind, deeply a-historical.

>his disciples that most people will despise them?  and how can we judge
>what the mainstream is in a period like the MA, when the overwhelming
>majority of texts comes from people who not only claim to represent the
>mainstream, but will engage in crusade and inquisition to eliminate rivals?

Well, this thread began with my comments on Gow's statement that there is a
objective exegesis of the Bible that supports the thesis the the Roman
Pontiff is the Antichrist,

he never said anything of the sort.  he never uses the word "objective" in the entire article.  he was making the same point about these dissenters that i am about peter lombard... ie that they believed that their interpretation was what scripture "really" meant.

and now you say that the credibility of medieval
Catholics is somehow impaired by the crusades and inquisition.

of course i do.  wd you argue that the literary products of an institution capable of mobilizing and institutionalizing such engines of religious coercion and thought control shouldn't be treated with deep skepticism?  if you mean, do i look to the medieval catholic writers -- here theologians -- as a reliable guide to what people then believed? no. they are not credible witnesses, altho they are definitely witnesses and witnesses that tell us a great deal despite their own efforts. as reliable guides to what we can or should believe about god and humanity, about what the bible says?  i'll judge that with each one.

but i can tell you that a medieval catholic who finds it legitimate to use coercion to force people to either adhere to his "objective" exegesis, or suffer torture and death, is not high on my list of spiritual guides, nor, i suspect a good guide to the meaning of scripture.  they are, however, witnesses to the exegetical creativity of people faced with a text that does not necessarily say what they want.  do i think they are insincere, that they knowingly distort the text? -- rarely.  i think they genuinely believe that they have extracted the "objective" meaning of the text.

I must say
that I find this sort of comment very often on the streets when talking to
fundamentalists, in the proper sense, and that in this forum I do not know
what to say in response.

the fundamentalists you are talking to are by and large saying those things because they oppose catholicism (and probably consider the pope an agent of antichrist).  that's not my case.  but the case against inquisitorial religious attitudes is at the core of modernity and civil society, and honest historical investigation, and i think you shd expect to find a mistrust of claims to a monopoly on religious truth on a list like this.  i for one try hard to understand how true believers in god who accept the NT as holy scripture can come up with justifications for inquisition and slaughter of xnty's "enemies".  i don't limit xns or xnty to these questions, nor do i exclude jews and muslims from them (altho no other religion calls for loving your enemy). but anyone who wishes to pretend that these developments are aberrations that have nothing to do with "true xnty" and then start talking about the objective meaning of the texts as if there were such a thing and they had a handle on it, then i do feel i have to speak up.

i think it's impt for "true believers" in a religion (whichever that might be) to understand the justifiable nervousness of those not sharing these beliefs about how such believers might behave were they to gain the power to coerce.  eg, wd the papacy, now one of the worlds great voices for religious freedom and human rights, change its tune were it, heaven forbid, to regain the kind of coercive power it had in the middle ages? or wd the fundamentalists, who today get indignant about religious persecution of xns around the world, were they to take political power, look like 14th catholics, or 17th protestants?

in a study of tolerance in the reformation era, one historian noted that tolerance was a loser's creed.  with the advent of constitutional govts, tolerance became a winner's creed for the first time in xn history, and with this, the modern era began.  i'm all for it.

of course, the price is, historically, religious indifference. the "modern" is tolerant partly because he or she cd care less if you believe in god, or the trinity, or whatever.  being both passionate and tolerant -- there's the rub, there's the modern challenge to the believer.  and i think the solution lies, among other things, in a kind of exegetical modesty that i do not sense in invocations of "objective truth."

If I have offended

you have not

by daring to act like another Cyrano without the poetic finesse,

no comment

I ask your pardon,

granted but not needed.

but it was not out of malice or personal vendetta

never thought it was

but simply for the sake of a fruitful academic exchange on an
important area of current historical research; which exchange would be
beneficial to the likes of me, who stands among you professors and scholars
on this list, like a student, perhaps of the kind you'd wouldn't want in
your classes,

i'd love students as lively as you in my class.

since I appreciate a lively exchange and have, since my
father was himself a university prof, little fear of engaging in them,
truly less than I ought to have as a Franciscan; and if my determination to
continue the discussion and defend myself has borne ill, I ask your pardon.

no need.  but let me ask you something.  how do you explain the role of franciscans in the inquisition?

Sincerely in Christ,

Br. Alexis Bugnolo

sincerely,

richard landes