----- Original Message -----
From: John Hall <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2000 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: The "Hell Mouth" in medieval art & architecture.

> Some examples:

> In Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights (Madrid, Prado) triptych c. 1503-4
> right-hand panel (the
> musical hell) a human figure with a Nightmare's head sitting over an open
> cesspit stuffs a naked body into its maw and defecates figures who drop
into
> the pit. For a good detailed reproduction see Mia Cinotti, 1969, "The
> Complete Paintings of Bosch" London, Weidenfeld & Nicolson
> John Hall

A  (comparatively) recent example was the set done by  Ralph Steadman for
the English National Opera's production of "Orpheus in the Underworld" in
which entrance to Hades was obtained by passing through the guard dog
Cerberus' mouth (well, one of them)and out through his bottom.  I thought it
wonderfully original at the time but perhaps this is where he got the idea
from?

regards

john a w lock