> * Eligius or Eloi, bishop of Noyon (660)
> - one of the most popular saints in medieval France; patron
> of smiths and metalworkers, and invoked on behalf of horses

A maker of reliquaries and wedding rings and also because of his honesty
made Master of the Mint to Dagobert II; but my favourite story about him is
that on one occasion - not wanting to hurt the horse whom he was shoeing -
he *took off the horse's leg*, shoed the hoof and refixed the leg .... When
the mind has stopped boggling, it is possible to see here amazement and
delight in a man clearly so gentle and concerned for the well-being even of
domestic animals.

Brenda M. C.