Dear colleagues,

this is the second Christmas season that has witnessed this discussion on
the list! If you want to see what went on the first time around, check the
messages posted in late December 1998, at our list's archive for that month:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A1=ind9812&L=medieval-religion

There were several interesting messages posted by members, including
Christopher Crockett, Graham Jones, Bonnie Blackburn and Jim Bugslag; here's
what Jim had to say:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Two types of sculpture burial have so far been mentioned by other
responders.  One involves church sculptures which are no longer in
use, such as the unfortunate heads from the west facade at Notre-Dame
in Paris, or, as Christopher Crockett pointed out, the fragments of
the Chartres jube.  In the latter case, jubes were destroyed in huge
numbers from the late 16th century onwards in order to accommodate
post-Tridentine views on the visibility of the Mass, and it strikes
me that, in a large number of cases, the parts were buried in
consecrated ground.  Lacking my library resources, as well, at
present, I cannot cite a source for this, but F. Joubert's work on
the Bourges jube might have something on this.  The other type of
burial mentioned is rather different: the burial of pagan sculpture
in Christian churches seems rather to signal a sense of triumph over
paganism; besides the English example cited, Guy Metraux has
excavated a carefully smashed pagan "idol" buried at the west end of
a  church in Carthage, from the 4th or 5th century, I believe.  In a
different context, altogether, a Classical sculpture, seemingly a
Venus figure, was discovered in Siena in the early 14th century and
proudly set up in a prominent position in the city.  Subsequently,
however, things began to go badly for Siena in its conflicts with
Florence, and popular sentiment apparently decided that the Classical
sculpture was to blame.  So, it was smashed, and the pieces
surrepetitiously buried just over the border in Florentine
territory, in order to pass along the bad luck to the enemy! . I
don't know of any doctrinal authorities for any of this burying, but
I hope some of this is of help.

Can anyone add to this, especially regarding doctrinal authorization for
such burying?

George Ferzoco