Patrick Nugent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Many thanks to all who have replied to my query.  Out here in the stix I'm
>stuck with a limited number of research tools.  Having chosen to sink my
>cash into OLD and Niermeyer, I miss out on the riches of Lewis & Short and
>Blaise.

Your glass is half-full; Lewis and Short is available on-line free at
Perseus. They've recently revamped their site and I'm not sure if you can
access the work directly, but if you go to the Latin Morphological Analysis
link at:

<http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/perscoll?collection=Perseus:collection:Per
sInfo&type=interactive+resource>

and put in a word, inflected or not, you'll be given the opportunity to go
to the word's entry in L & S. This is obviously useful for other reasons,
too.

I'm grateful to those who are blessed with better resources and
>sharper minds!

Might you be able to convince the librarian at Earlham to buy a copy of the
Blaise _Dictionnaire_ for the collection? It's only 138 Euros last I
checked, which isn't that expensive for a reference work so important. With
Niermeyer available Blaise's Medieval Latin dictionary in the CCSL series
isn't as necessary for you, but his Later Latin work is (as I understand
it) the best available for the period.

John

John McChesney-Young  ** [log in to unmask] **  Berkeley, California, USA