Yes but the problem lies (mainly) with the publishers its all in the ISBN.
Bernard Cornwell writes historical novels 00
Hancock et al write serious historical works 99

Having said that I did notice a biography of Vlad the impailer (with a biography ISBN) in the myth magik and supernatural section of Waterstones and some bookshops insits on classifying star trek as fiction.

>>> "Carlisle, Philip" <[log in to unmask]> 21/December/2000 10:15am >>>
Going slightly off at a tangent. Is it just me or does anyone else get
annoyed when they find books by Hancock et al, on the shelves in Waterstones
(or any other bookshop) under archaeology? I mean I wouldn't expect to find
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels under the Military History section so why
do bookshops count this as archaeology? Just because it's got a pyramid on
the cover? Or is it that this is what the average Brit thinks archaeology is
and expects to find this sort of book?

Phil

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify your system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.