 I'm sure there will be more definitive answers to this (Otfried?),
> but one image that apparently came under official censure in Europe
> was a figure of the Trinity with three faces on the same head.  I'm
> afraid I don't know where or when this was censured, but as odd an
> image as it seems, there are still examples into the 17th century.
> Also, St Antoninus of Florence in the 15th century censured images of
> the Annunciation which depicted a "homunculus" zooming down towards
> the Virgin on a beam of light, since it suggested that Christ's human
> nature preceded his incarnation in Mary.  > Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag

Dear Jim:

Saint Antoninus was, to my knowledge, the first to censure the three-faced
Trinity. I have not references handy but think that Jean Gerson wrote
something on the Virgin with the "homunculus".  It is noteworthy that in the
Capilla de Miraflores (Burgos), we find both motifs: Trinity on the tomb of
Infante Alfonso; Annuniation with Child on the retable, both works of Gil de
Siloe. And was the orthodox Queen Isabel "la Catolica" who paid for them.

I have recently finished a paper dealing with the influence of Saint
Antoninus "Summa" in Spain. In it, although briefly, I make some references
to this iconography. If you feel this can be of some interest for you, just
let me know and I'll send you a message when it is publish.