It's hard to be enthusiastic about the conception of the theologian as art
critic, or as a a person who directly influences art. There were no medieval
Clement Greenbergs. You might, however, find fruitful ground studying
theologians as patrons of the arts. Although the Renaissance is too late for
your purposes, it would have had a different coloration without the patronage
of Pope Julius II. But then there's the work commissioned by Suger at St.
Denis. And if you study, say, the history of the Sistine Chapel, you'll find
it was decorated in phases, and each phase reflects the tastes and ideas of
the pope of that day.

pat sloane