Hi,

I would of thought that this simply reflects the continuing medicalisation
of impairment in contemporary society.

In addition, it also reflects how people see themselves - particularly
those with chronic illnesses. When I was secretary for such a group in
liverpool many years ago, the pattern you describe was there also - the
organisation was led by people with that condition, and used words linked
to the conditions latin name and medicalisation of impairment, like
'suffering'.

I only hope that in time this will change and that people will see the
similarities between chronic illness and disability as is popularly
understood.

Then we can move away from 'charity' to far more dignified, useful and
personally fulfilling forms of help. That is not to knock self-help groups,
but to me they perpetuate the marginalisation and misunderstanding of
everyday life and the experience of chronic illness to the individuala and
society and culture at large.

Yours,
Glenn