> Can anyone help me with understanding the connotation of vermis in  the
> "Omnipotens + Dominus +Christus" prayer ?
> [Text below taken from the Burnet psalter web page - as being the only web
> site I could find.]

> Invocation, Messyas, Sother, Emanuel.
>
> An invocation of the names of God.
>
> Messyas + Sother + Emanuel,\ + Sabaoth + Adonay, + Pan\ton, + Craton, +
> Ysus, + Pri\mogenitus + Mediator, + Rex, + Alpha\ Et Omega, + Omousyon, +
> Salvator +\ Vita + Via + Sapiencia,\ + Virtus +\ Ego sum, + Qui sum, +
> Agnus, + Ovis +\ Vitulus, + Aries, + Serpens, + Leo,\ + Vermis, + Rex, +
> Christus + Pater +\ Filius, + Et spiritus sanctus. Amen.

Dear Tim,
Something like this came up on another list I subscribe to,
Hagiomail, earlier this year, 23 January 2000, and the following
information was provided by Andreas Merkt: The image of a worm used
for Christ refers to the ancient notion that the procreation of worms
was a virginal one. In antiquity people thought that worms reproduced
themselves without a sexual partner, just using the virginal soil.
Cf. Maximus Taurinensis, sermo 29,3: CCL 23,114,64-68, who interprets
Ps 22,7, I am a worm and no man, christologically. In the same sermon
you also find other interpretations of the Christ-worm simile.
	 I would certainly be interested in knowing more about the prayer
you cite.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag