Hi Paul

There are many, many measures you could choose from!
I recommend you choose
1    a tool to measure function
2    a tool to measure quality of life
3    a tool to measure some psychosocial factors

Try looking at;

1    Deyo RA, et al [1998] Outcome Measures for low back pain research. A
proposal for standardized use. Spine 23 18 2003-2013
It summarises with a proposed core outcome measure which is very simple and
I was suprised how useful it was in a small project I was working on.

2    Ruta DA, et al [1999] Patient centred assessment of quality of life for
patients with 4 common condition. Quality in Healthcare 8:22-29

The tool that it evaluates is the Patient Generated Index (PGI).  Again I
found it useful, but my experience was that you had to spend time to make
sure people filled in all the details.  It is a little overwhelming to look
at, but everybody managed.  The benefit is that the people choose their own
individual quality of life issues to measure outcome of intervention
against.
PGI info and forms can be found at www.dundee.ac.uk/epidemiology/pgi
<http://www.dundee.ac.uk/epidemiology/pgi>

I came across it through the www.nice.org <http://www.nice.org> .uk   In
this web site you need to click on data base and at the bottom of the page
search on line.  From what I remember there is a CSP link or data base which
listed all outcome measures used in physiotherapy including musculoskeletal
problems.  Again you may find this a useful source.  I had some difficulties
accessing the database.  If you have a similar problem let me know and I'll
check what I did.

I hope this helps!

Shona Scott