Yes, I'm getting the picture that librarians
are interpreting Subject as being as broad
as it is in LCSH; again, that is not the
way Subject was intended by the dc crew
(at least judging from my experience attending
a couple of these meetings).

The reason that Coverage became an element
was because:
-  the definition given for Subject was understood
not to include geographic area or time periods
And the reason Type and Format came to the fore
is because again Subject was understood not
to include form/genre terms.
That is, "topical" = "thematic," and not anything else.

When you look at Coverage, the dc-lite version is
always a word.  The item is indeed 'about' that geographic
area - that is, it is a subject heading in the broad scope
of LCSH.

And as per your earlier message - what i figured
Rebecca intended for Coverage -place was:
marc 651|a
marc all other 6xx's |z

and correspondingly for Coverage - time:
marc 6xx|y
(?can you start a subject heading with a time period?
in that case the first field would be |a)