Steve,

Thanks for responding. I will check out those sources to get their opinion and
their reasoning behind them. As a student of an "anti-stretching" professor,I
would like to be able to present some literature relating to the subject.

The source that you had quoted: <<Brooks, G, A., Fahey, T, D,. White, T,
P,.1996. Exercise Physiology, Human Bioenergetics and its Applications.
Mayfield Publishing Company:USA.

The authors state, "Sarcomeres are added to and removed from muscles in
response to chronic stretch. This may be a critical mechanism by which
flexibility is improved". >>

I have to wonder what the working definition of a "chronic stretch" is.
Another thought that I have is, if the "tissues... adapt to a new length
without any long-term loss in strength," then does contracting the muscle in
the end range positions where the muscle is stretched facilitate the formation
of new sarcomeres? Just wondering.

<<In Enoka's 1994 book "The Neuromechanical Basis of Kinesiology" (An
excellent book by the way) he states, with references, that connective tissue
plays the significant role in limiting range of motion, simply put, long term
flexibility increases come from stressing tissues so that they adapt to a new
length without any long-term loss in strength>>

Regards,

Amanda L. Saviers, Student P.T.