Dear list-members,

Being an ardent disciple of sancta Procrastinata, I
finally sit down and take the time to introduce myself
to you, and at the same time, ask for your help in a
question I have come accross in my work. I hope you
will excuse my "French written accent"...

I am at the moment a master's student in French
Literature at the University of Montreal, and I work
on Jean de Joinville's "Vie de saint Louis", written
at the very beginning of the 14th century. Maybe as
you know, Joinville was a knight who went on saint
Louis' first crusade, so it is a very rare example of
a saint's life written by a lay man. In fact, I'm not
sure there is another example of that. And what I
study for my master's is precisely this profound laity
that Joinville gives to his king's sanctity (he knew
Louis quite well), as I think Joinville sees in saint
Louis the perfection of chivalery and what he calls
«prud'homie».

In his text, Joinville recalls alot of saint Louis'
favourite sayings, and at this one time, in an
anecdote where Joinville narrates an anecdote where
he, the king and the king's family almost died on the
ship on the way back from the crusade, saint Louis
quotes saint Anselme (I do not know how he is called
in English). Here is therefore Joinville quoting saint
Louis quoting saint Ancelme (!) :
«Or dit saint Anciaumes que ce sont des menaces Notre
Seigneur, aussi comme se Diex vousist dire: " Or vous
eusse je bien mors se je vousisse ". Sire Dieu, fait
li sains (here, saint Anselme, again), pourquoy nous
menaces tu? car es menaces que tu nous faiz, ce n'est
pour ton preu ne pour ton avantage, car se tu nous
avoies touz perdus, si ne seroies tu ja plus povre et
se tu nous avois tous gaignez, tu n'en serois ja plus
riche. Donc n'est ce pas pour ton preu la menace que
tu nous as faite, mes pour nostre profit, se nous le
savons mettre a oeuvre. »

my own little translation: «Now saint Anselme says
that this (a near-death experience) is a threat from
God, as if he had wanted to say to us: "I certainly
would have made you die if I had wanted to". Dear God,
says the saint, why do you threaten us? Because these
threats that you utter towards us are not for your
profit or your advantage, because if you had lost us
all, you would not have been poorer, and if you had
won us all, you would not have been richer. Therefore,
the menace you have uttered towards us is not for your
advantage, but for our profit, if we are able to make
the best of it.»

Jacques Monfrin, who has edited the text, said that he
has not come accross this in saint Anselme's work. But
I wonder if that idea of God not being richer or
poorer is something that we can find somewhere else,
maybe in saint Augustin, or elsewhere... Has anyone of
you ever come accross this idea?

Sophie Cardinal-Corriveau
Université de Montréal

P.S. Docteur Souple, qu'est-ce que vous me faites rigoler!!!