[log in to unmask] wrote:

> >Lucian wrote:
> >"...... In fact, Vivarium was an Augustinian
> >institution. Luciana"
> >--
> >***
> Luciana:
> Could you elaborate on that description?
> It conjures, I suspect, "too much" of something.
> Josef Gulka
>
> Josef Gulka
>   Tel: 215- 732-8420
> Fax (215) 732-8420
Josef - My fingers ran ahead of my brains, because I stated as fact what
is, at the moment, a working hypothesis - but I am happy to share my
thoughts on Vivarium as an Augustinian institution.

Some reasons are generic: the great importance of St. Augustine in
Cassiodorus' writing and in the Vivarian tradition after Cassiodorus
(Petrus Tripolitanus), and the information that Pope Gennadius had
helped Augustinian monks from Africa to settle in Rome. Gennadius seems
to have been connected with the family of Cassiodorus (the data on
Gennadius need verification).

Specifically, we have the copying of the commentary to St. Paul, drawn
entirely from works of St. Augustine, and completed at Vivarium after
the death of Cassiodorus. Contrary to scholarly belief, Petrus
Tripolitanus did exist, he (not Florus of Lyon) is the author of the
commentary, and some codices with his work are copies of a late antique,
Vivarian original. Now, Cassiodorus in the Institutiones refers to the
commentary of Peter as one of the books expected (but not yet delivered)
from Africa. It seems to me that this shows a regular exchange with
African monasteries - not the same as generically looking for books,
wherever they might be found. What's more important, the juridical
organization of the monastery at Vivarium seems to me to fall into the
pattern outlined by Peter himself (but a young scholar told me at Leeds
in 1997 that the passage in question is absolutely spurious, and when I
invited him to come and talk it over at leisure, he suddenly had
pressing commitments).

The practical importance given to St. Augustine at Vivarium seems to me
a symptom of Augustinianism. But, indeed, more work is needed beforeI
can utter such thoughts in public. For the time being, they are confined
to the intimacy of this learned list.
Luciana
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario