On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:55:02 +0000
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> A practical point on the way Mary holds the infant Jesus. Most women will
> automatically hold a baby with the left arm. This is because
> (a) this holds the baby against your heart and the heartbeat is soothing:
> and
> (b) because most of us are right-handed and holding the baby with the left
> leaves the right hand free to knead bread, stir soup, type learned articles
> or whatever.
> So possibly what we are looking at is whether these images were produced by
> people who knew how mothers tend to hold babies.
> I have somewhere got pictures of monastic seals which i think show the
> Throne of Wisdom with Mary holding Jesus on the left and feeding him. (And
> I do remember editing a text when my daughter was a baby and typing it all
> with the right hand and getting very lopsided in the process because it was
> the only way to keep her quiet.)

Just to second this: I was wondering about the practical
aspects of holding children, and Im sure this plays a part
in the creation of some of these images; Gerard David's
'Milk Soup' Madonnas, where the Virgin is feeding the child
with a spoon and bowl of milk, have her holding him in her
left arm. Makes sense.

Susie Nash