Any science journalists interested in picking up this story?

I think this is just within the remit of this group,
ie medicine/ science / risk management...

Since medical-problem stories seem to be very topical
in the media just now (esp TV) - I was wondering whether
any of the journalists in this group might be interested in
highlighting a maddening problem doctors generally, and
anaesthetists in particular have regarding the stupid way
many drugs (mainly those which come in small ampules) are
labelled - namely in such a way that they are often very
difficult to read!!

The problem, in short, is simply that the regulations regarding
exactly how the drugs are labeled (size of lettering, font,
contrast, generic name, propriatory name, dose, concentration
etc etc) seem to be almost non existant, with the effect
that is seems to be left mostly up to the drug companies
to do what they think is appropriate.
Consequently, we often have ampules having the company name in
HUGE lettering, propriatory name in HUGE lettering,
whilst the important generic name, dose, concentration all in
 *microscopic* size !!!, and sometimes you need a magnifier
 to read them properly.

All this is actually quite unacceptable from a risk management
perspective - and so I would
welcome the opportunity of highlighting this problem, with
plenty of examples, in conjunction with an interested
journalist.
In practice, the labels would have to be very accurately reproduced
to show the reader, and so access to a glossy-print medium
would seem to be important. The average size of such rogue labels
is  approx 1.5 x 1 cm !! Not easy to read with bad lighting
when you are in a hurry.

Please contact me if at all interested.

cheers,
Dick

Dr RWD Nickalls BSc, PhD, MBBS, FRCA.
Consultant in Anaesthesia & Intensive Care,
Department of Anaesthesia,           TEL: 0115-9691169 Ext45637
Nottingham City Hospital NHS Trust,    +44-115-9691169 Ext45637
Hucknall Road,
Nottingham, NG5-1PB,                 FAX: 0115-9627713
UK.                                    +44-115-9627713

email: [log in to unmask]
Pager: 0115-9691169