Chris Emery writes:

I like to see photos of authors too. In my experience this appears to create
an odd kind of bond for readers, almost a kind of social experience,akin to
something like "good to put a face to the name.

The poet Archie Markham told me that, at one stage of his career, he was
sending poems to publishers using pseudonyms and fictional CVs. One of his
women personas brought out a book, and the publisher asked for a photo. He
sent one of a young blonde woman, which appeared on the book, and got him a
spate of love-letters and the offer of a romantic cruise. Another of my
friends has just changed his name to something Polish in the hope of
attracting more interest from publishers. Where does this leave the Death of
the Author?

Best wishes

Matthew Francis
[mailto:[log in to unmask]