on 15/11/2000 12:33 PM, Rosan Chow at [log in to unmask] wrote:

Rosan
> 2 I am confused between social constructivism and
> social constructionism, could someone please give
> me some references?
Try:
Pearce W Barnett 1995. A sailing guide for social constructionists. In
Leeds-Hurwitz Wendy (ed), Social Approaches to Communication, 88­113. New
York: Guildford Press.

> 4 David: you mentioned 'design theory' (on Nov 14).
> Normally, for example, when we say
> "developmental theory", we mean it is a theory about
> human development, such as the Piagetian. So did your
> 'design theory' mean theory about design? If you did,
> then I can't see the link between the topic
> on thinking/ acting and design theory?

No. 'design theory' for me is the body of principles that guide design
practice. In other words, how we explain to each other what we do as
designers. Remember the disitinction between 'knowing about' and 'knowing
how to', and 'knowing how to ride a bike in a public place' For me, design
theory is the last of these.

I gave a paper at Vision Plus 3 called 'Theory for practice' which explains
this and does so from a Constructionist point of view.

You can order a copy of the paper from IIID at
http://www.vision-plus.net/OrderForm.html

Is there a link to the topic of thinking/ acting and design theory?
Possibly, if you ask yourself as a designer, in what way does the
disitinction or confaltion of action and thinking help me become a better
designer?

David
--
Professor David Sless