In a message dated 10/16/2000 9:23:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Rob Curedale
writes:

<< In a message dated 10/15/2000 11:57:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 <<  From the exterior, the Cube is a pure product of what used to be
  called industrial design. Even its abstract, geometrical shape
  harks back to the Bauhaus-influenced products displayed in the Good
  Design shows organized in the 50's by the Museum of Modern Art. The
  innards, easily removed by means of a handle, represent the
  increasing miniaturization of information-age technology. The
  Cube's inner and outer enclosures symbolize an interface between
  the old and new economies. >>

 I saw the cube as harking back to Mario Bellini's slightly brutal
architectural style of the mid 70's.

 This article seems high on hype and misunderstands the meaning of industrial
design to consumers by confusing product design with art. This has been a
common mistake for journalists.

 It is true that products have not captured the public attention so much
since the days of Sottsass Valentine typewriter and the phschedelic circular
space age primary colored television sets when industrial design was as hyper
cool as Fellini movies. This was incidentally the climate which influenced me
to study design. The field got taken over by the brown suited rationalists by
the mid 1970s.

 Hooray for Apple and industrial design.

 Rob Curedale >>