If we recall the "showing" aspect of theory over the self-evident aspects of
making, then we can locate theory in its own space without looking for a kind of
chronology or causality. Many instances of difference, many instances of
designers and their designs do not make one instance of theory about design.
Indeed, the general lack of theory about design, that is, the lack of showing,
is part of the social problem of a field of practice that pretends to practice.

I make things - poems, sculptures, cavandoli macrame hangings, books, arguments,
theories etc. Within the art objects, the showing of the object amounts to an
inscribed theoretical account of the object in its making. Any object that does
not achieve this inscribing is a craft object that wants for its showing - it
remains hidden in its making, disguised in its form. This is true for
conversations, academic book, societies, individuals - most of the world is such
a thing. Pattern, order, difference etc can all be determined, as an act of
consciousness, about anything apprehended - some things eneter the dimension of
the shown/showing - these apprehended things included their own theory (showing)
as part of their apprenshion.

The other things remain the lumps that external theory wants to point at with
well made sticks. This is not so much a showing as a forced performance (the
dancing bear of theory).

keith russell
newcastle OZ