Folks,

It may be useful to distinguish between associations and community, in
the manner of Dewey.  There have been a variety of special interest
groups that have formed over the years in design, where the shared
interest has served as the bond.  These are perhaps best understood as
"associations," in Dewey's terms.  They are usually formed around a
particular problem or around a particular approach or philosophy.  But
associations come and go as interests are served and as interests move
on.  Professional associations are of this kind, too--and the SIG's of
such associations are, themselves, associations.

The idea of a community in design is something different.  Personally, I
believe we are now seeing the beginnings of such a community, crossing
some of the boundaries of associations.  Perhaps doctoral programs will
help in this formation, but I don't believe they will be entirely
decisive.

One of the issues in forming a community lies in the relation of
practice and theory or reflection.  While I believe the relation is
important and may sometimes be quite close, I think we should not feel
obliged to judge the community by whether practicing designers approve
or even immediately benefit from the larger project of the community.

Forming a design community is, to me, a central problem for us.  One of
my greatest concerns in recent years is the tendency of SIG's and other
associations to become detached from a collective enterprise.  Keeping
some kind of connection among the various groups is valuable--much as
nature finds a way to keep gene-pools in relationship.

Looking for the connective themes and threads is one of the challenges
that interests me a great deal.  In the long run, the understanding of
design will require an appreciation of the pluralism of inquiry.  And
teaching our students how to navigate the diversity is a great value in
the long term enterprise.

Dick

Richard Buchanan