Iain,

There isn't any legal provision if the children are in a public place.
However, best practice says that it is always a good idea to get written
permission for photos of children.

Where children have been abused (sexually), photography is often an integral
part of that abuse, so there can be real sensitivities here. (I write as a
past chair of a Social Services Committee.)

Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts Hon FMA

University of Leicester
Department of Museum Studies