Candice: at the risk of boring people who're not interested in following
this exchange I'll quote the passage you mean, which is from the paper on
Raworth I gave earlier this year--the whole thing will be appearing in
_Chicago Review_ sometime next year:

...close reading is of course problematic in dealing with highly openended
poetry, since close reading often carries buried within it ideals of a
"complete" reading that are at odds with poetries that emphasize
openendedness and arbitrariness.  I remember reading some time ago a Brian
McHale article that quoted Harold Bloom's reading of a passage from Ashbery'
s "As You Came from the Holy Land": McHale pointed out that Bloom's reading
only actually took into account two lines of an eight-line stanza.  That's a
fair point about careless or opportunistic reading, and I think McHale a
better reader of Ashbery than Bloom, but it would be misleading to approach
poetry such as Ashbery's in the expectation that every detail in the poem
can or should be justified.  (I'm thinking here of such monstrous acts of
close reading as Helen Vendler's The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets, a book
which squeezes significance out of every letter of a poem.)  The poetry of
authors as diverse as Ashbery, Bob Cobbing, Jackson Mac Low, Tom Raworth,
Clark Coolidge and Maggie O'Sullivan does not subscribe to ideas of the poem
as organic entity or as machine made of words, and thus is little concerned
with the ideals of wholeness, efficiency and lack of superfluity embedded in
such aesthetic metaphors.  Exhaustive reading of postmodern poetries is
neither necessary, nor possible; but this is not, of course, to devalue
_attentive_ reading.

(the McHale I had in mind is his review of Veronica Forrest-Thomson from
1982.  I cited from memory so the exact details are wrong--it should be
"took into account five phrases out of the entire poem".)

"Paste" and "style" are perfectly good English words.  I don't understand
your last email, but I'm not going to try reading it as if it were French on
the off-chance that that might help.  You're welcome to indulge in what Ben
Watson calls "poodle play" but it's not a critical modality that interests
me very much.

all best --N

Nate & Jane Dorward
http://www.geocities.com/ndorward/
109 Hounslow Ave., Willowdale, ON, M2N 2B1, Canada
ph: (416) 221 6865